Saturday, January 7, 2012

HR Corollary #1

A couple years ago, my (now former) assistant set up an interview for her sister-in law (Sh) for a job opening. Sh didn't show up for the interview. When my assistant asked her why she hadn't come in, Sh said that she didn't have anything to wear that she thought was appropriate. Of course, that shouldn't have stopped her from calling to cancel or reschedule her appointment, but it had.

Sh filled out an application a few weeks ago. I couldn't remember why she had not shown for her interview, but after talking to my former assistant I decided to consider her for an opening I had. Sh was very persistent on following up almost every day to see if I'd made a decision on hiring her. I told her that with the holidays, I wasn't going to make any hiring decisions until after the first of the year. I said that I would call her after January 3rd.

On January 4th, she sent my former assistant's 16 year old son in to check on the status of my hiring decision. This irritated me quite a bit. I told him to tell Sh that I would be calling her soon.

Despite my gut instinct, I offered Sh a part time position on January 5th. She agreed that she would come in for orientation on January 6th at 2pm and would start that evening.

Obviously, she didn't show for orientation or call.


1 comment: